Welcome to the
Tucows Domains Help Site
Domain Help is provided as a service to Registrants of domains purchased through the Tucows Domain Provider network. This site contains information on how to find your Domain Provider, and information about how certain aspects of domain names function.
Find Your Domain Provider
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Domain Provider?
A Domain Provider is a company which sells domain name registrations to the public. If you own a TUCOWS branded domain, your Domain Provider is the last company you paid money to for your domain name registration. Money was paid for its renewal, transfer, or even its initial registration within the past year.
What is Tucows' Role in Domain Registration?
Tucows is a wholesaler of domain names and other Internet services to ISPs and web hosting companies worldwide. We do not sell domain names directly to consumers. We are not the owner of domains for which we are the Registrar of Record. The domain name owner is your best source of information about a specific domain.
Disputes and Complaints
- What can I do about SPAM or “phishing” from a Tucows/OpenSRS registered domain?
- What can I do about Invalid WHOIS information?
- What if I’m not listed as the Owner of my domain?
- What if I cannot contact my Domain Provider?
Domain Specific Information
- What does the Nexus Confirmation email mean?
- Why did NeuStar send me an email?
- Can I register an IDN (Multilingual) Domain Name?
Glossary of Terms
- What is a TLD? (Top Level Domain)
- What is a Domain Provider?
- What is a Registrant?
- What is a Registry?
- What is a Registrar?
Management and Passwords
Name Server (DNS) Changes
- I received an email about a Name Server (DNS) problem with my .DE registration. What do I do?
- How do I remove a name server (DNS entry) from my domain?
- How do I change my Name Servers (DNS)?
- I changed my Name Servers (DNS) on my domain. Why has this change not taken affect yet?
- Why am I receiving this error: “unable to verify existence of name server”?
Renewal and Expiration
- What happens to domain names when they expire?
- How can I renew with a different Domain Provider?
- Why was my domain not renewed even though I paid for it?
- How can I renew my domain name?
- What if my domain name is in the REDEMPTION PERIOD and I cannot contact my Provider?
Transfer of Domain Registration
- Why can’t I transfer my domain name?
- How do I get my Authorization Code? (also called an “EPP Key” or “Auth Code”)
- What is happening with my transfer?
- How can I transfer my domain from one Domain Provider to another Domain Provider?
- How can I update my Administrative Contact email address?
WHOIS use and information
- How do I perform a WHOIS lookup on a domain name?
- Why does my domain show INACTIVE in the WHOIS output?
- What does REDEMPTION PERIOD or PENDING DELETE RESTORABLE mean?